12/8/11

Sponsor Profile: Broken Pencil

Broken Pencil

Who are you?
We're Broken Pencil, a 16-year-old magazine about independent arts and publishing, with a particular focus on zines. I'm Lindsay Gibb, editor for the past 5 years.

Where are you located? Our office is near Kensington market in Toronto

What do you/your business/your product do? We put out the magazine four times a year and, since 1995, we've been holding a large zine fair (Canzine) once a year in Toronto. From time to time Canzine travels to other provinces, most recently in Vancouver and previously in Halifax.

What gets you pumped about doing what you do? I still get excited every time a new issue comes back from the printer. I used to make zines, and there's the same sense of satisfaction when the thing you worked on for months finally comes together and exists. Hearing back from people who have been reading Broken Pencil for years, or even people who just discovered us, is a good motivator too.

What does your sponsorship for the show entail? We donated 200 copies of the magazine for swag bags, vendor packs and volunteer/staff packs. This is our third or fourth year sponsoring.

What are you crafting this holiday season (festive beverages & baked goods count)? Winter is my heavy knitting season. I'm knitting the usual scarves and hats for my friends and their children. I may knit a little toy or two for the kids if I get the time. The squirrels are looking really fat this year, so I think we all might need the extra warmth.

When City of Craft (and other awesome indie shows) is not on, where do you go for your crafty fix? I go to the knit cafe to grab yarn and tools and to sit around with friends. I also like the workroom, but sometimes going there reminds me just how sad my sewing skills are.

Broken Pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment